This super easy chicken drumstick
recipe delivers crispy, mouthwatering results. You can further simplify this
recipe by roasting the chicken and vegetables on a single baking sheet, but
using the two pan method described below yields crispier, more evenly cooked
chicken. Plus, it allows you to remove the vegetables from the oven a few
minutes earlier than the chicken, if needed.
Important Tip: Be sure to pat the drumsticks completely dry before seasoning. The skin will not get nice and crispy if you omit this step!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
1 lb. carrots, peeled
1 medium yellow onion
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper, to taste
6 large chicken drumsticks (with skin)
2 t. smoked paprika
2 t. garlic salt
2 t. onion salt
2 t. black pepper, to taste
- Arrange oven racks so they are evenly
spaced apart before pre-heating to 425°F.
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with
parchment paper, Silpat baking mats, or aluminum foil and set aside.
- Cut carrots into thin slices and onion
into wedges before separating into individual slices. Place sliced carrots and
onion on one of the prepared baking sheets and drizzle with olive oil. Season
with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to coat. Spread vegetables into
a single layer and set aside.
- Place a metal baking rack on the other
baking sheet and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pat drumsticks completely dry with
paper towels. Sprinkle on all sides with smoked paprika, garlic salt, onion
salt, and black pepper and arrange seasoned drumsticks on baking rack.
- Place both baking sheets into pre-heated
oven, with chicken on the upper rack. Roast for 20 minutes, then rotate both
baking sheets and roast for another 15-20 minutes, or until an instant-read
thermometer inserted into the chicken reads at least 165°F and the vegetables are tender and
caramelized. (Depending on your oven and how thin you sliced the vegetables,
they may be done a little sooner).
- Remove each baking sheet from oven when ready and transfer chicken to a serving platter. Loosely cover chicken with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes before serving with roasted root vegetables.